The Hokkaido Summer Institute (HSI) was established in AY2016 as a program aimed at inviting researchers who are undertaking cutting-edge research worldwide to Hokkaido University to allow them to carry out educational activities in collaboration with our faculty members.
Every year, mainly in the summer, we provide more than 150 cutting-edge lessons in English such as active-learning lessons and field training that make use of the vast land of Hokkaido, and create opportunities for co-education with our students and international participants. Many classes focused on the environment are also held. Examples of classes related to the environment and SDGs:
- Marine Biodiversity under Anthropogenic Impacts (pollution, Resource overexploitation, climate change)
- International Course on Integrated Marine Biology and Ecology I
- Tackling 21st-century challenges in universities toward sustainable society
- Mechanism, Assessment and Remediation of Environmental Pollution
- Fundamentals and Applications of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Prospects for the Future of Northeast Asia: From the Perspective of Area & Border Studies