Science is an academic field that unravels the mysteries of the natural world and mathematics and discovers the truth based on intellectual curiosity and inquisitiveness. The development of science and technology supported by that wisdom has brought about the prosperity of modern society. The work of science and technology is the history of mankind itself. On the other hand, as the impact grows, there are dangers that threaten the survival of the global ecosystem, including human beings, such as environmental destruction and energy problems.
At School of Science and Graduate School of Science, we are working on education and research that emphasizes the connection between science and society, with the goal of nurturing flexible, creative, and internationally minded human resources who can use the wisdom of science to realize a sustainable future. I'm in.
- Activities to return knowledge obtained from research on earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis to local communities and support disaster prevention (SDGs Goal 11)
- Research on changes and changes in the atmosphere and oceans in Japan and its surrounding areas, as well as in the world, and the accompanying changes in marine ecosystems (SDGs Goals 13 and 14)
- Research to detect ground deformation caused by environmental changes by remote sensing using satellites (SDGs goals 9, 13, 15)
- International education and research to develop and operate artificial satellites with international students for the purpose of mitigating natural disasters, contributing to agriculture, forestry and fisheries, and environmental monitoring in developing countries in Southeast Asia (SDGs goals 11, 13, 14, 15)
- Research on the effect of carbon dioxide on ice evaporation by observing the ice surface (SDGs Goal 13)
- Basic research aimed at developing new concentrating solar cells and spintronics devices that create clean energy (SDGs goals 7, 9, and 13)
- Development of a next-generation Ising computer through collaboration between the Hitachi Hokkaido University Laboratory and the Department of Mathematics (SDGs Goal 9)
And so on.